The Spring Sports Florida Trip is Right Around the Corner. Here’s What You Can Expect.

This is the resort where the teams will be staying for a week. Photo Credit: TripAdvisor (https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34515-d3932244-Reviews-Universal_s_Cabana_Bay_Beach_Resort-Orlando_Florida.html)

Joining in with privileged schools across the country, GCDS’s Spring Sports teams are heading to Florida over the March break for practice, competition, and team bonding. This was the intention of the Greenwich Country Day High School back in 2019, however, the Coronavirus pandemic put an unfortunate stop to this. Finally, on October 4, 2023, the Athletic Department announced that all the Spring sports would be heading down to Florida during the second week of March break. This caused excitement across the four grade levels, with many student-athletes excited for the opportunity to showcase their athletic skills during a fun week of pre-season. 

The non-mandatory, but highly encouraged, Spring Break trip is open to any student-athlete playing a Varsity Spring sport this year. Rowing, however, will not be attending the trip as there were some implications which means they will be practicing on campus.

The Goal of the Trip

Teams want to maximize the time down in Florida to help benefit them later in the season on both a skill and bonding basis. According to Mr. Helstein, the goal of each practice is to see where each member fits into their team and gets the ball rolling before the season starts. Mr. Dutcher, Varsity Sailing Coach, said that “the trip will benefit the team because it will actually get a couple of days of sailing under the belt before they hit the season. Most of the competition also has more time in their boats before, so they will actually be able to ramp up more quickly and competitively. ”

While coaching Lacrosse at his previous school, Mr. Helstein explains that “there were few experiences that created more of that bond. This is where your roommates are your teammates and everyone eats together all the time.” Helstein goes on to say “I fully believe that the cohesiveness of the team results in the success of a team on the field.”

Practice and Scrimmages

The USTA facilities where the tennis teams will be practicing. Photo Credit: USTA (https://www.usta.com/en/home.html)

While practicing in Florida, each team can expect two practice sessions and one scrimmage per day. Each practice will be about two hours and each scrimmage will be the normal game time for the respective sport. Practice sessions will be held within the KSA Events facilities and ones that they have rented out, such as the USTA campus. All the teams will be coached by the same coaches they have in their regular seasons, except for tennis, which will take advantage of the pros at the United States Tennis Academy. 

Helstein explained that “scrimmages are against other teams across the country, specifically, ones we don’t play against during the season, to get into the competitive mindset before bigger games. Scrimmages are key during this time because the official season starts immediately upon return, with games against local schools scheduled for the day we return to school for some teams.” It is important to note that these scrimmages do not count toward anything. 

The Expectations of Student-Athletes

Varsity Lacrosse players excited for the season. Photo Credit: GCDS Athletics

In an interview with Maxine, a Junior playing on the Varsity Girls Lacrosse team, she said, “I am excited, but I’ve never been to a school sports trip in Florida, so I don’t know what to expect.” This is the case for many high school student-athletes due to the implications the coronavirus has caused. Most upperclassmen started their high school years off in the pandemic and this is their first and last real chance to experience a Spring sports trip before they head off to university. Going on the trip with the boy’s tennis team, senior Miguel says that “I wish that I was a freshman on the trip because I feel that it will be a different experience as a senior. It would be nice to have three years after this one like the freshman.”

Playing on the Varsity Golf team as a junior this year, Teddy says he is “really looking forward to strengthening my connections with the coaches and team members, especially the new freshmen. It is going to be great for our team to play courses in different climates and conditions because that is where golfers really get the most improvement.”

Team Bonding

Golf team practicing during preseason. Photo Credit: GCDS Athletics

Mr. Feder, Varsity Boys’ Tennis Coach, explains that students should expect a hybrid between team bonding opportunities and actual practice. He says that “they will get a lot of good tennis, it will be a great way to start the season improving on skills, and it is also unbelievable for bonding.”

“I think it would be really cool for us to go down South; get the warm weather,” says Warner, who plays as a junior on the Boy’s Varsity Baseball team. “It will be new for us, but I think it sets a nice precedent. One of the things we lacked last year was that excellent competitive preparation that helps you go into the season.” 

Mr. Helstein, Athletic Director at GCDS, explained that, other than practice, each team will have a “park day” after their scheduled practice in which they can visit the nearby Universal Studios as a team and bond over rides and games. There are three different parks available to visit as part of the Universal package each team member has – Universal Studios, Islands of Adventure, & Volcano Bay Waterpark. Each team will also have a proper sit-down dinner together at the Citywalk area, either at a steakhouse or the Hard Rock cafe, to get out of the dining hall norm. There will also be downtime reserved for more optional team bonding activities at the resort. 

Dates and Accommodations

Al, a senior, running in a track meet. Photo Credit: GCDS Athletics

All teams leave on Monday, March 20th for a five-day intensive training program with KSA Events and return together on Friday, March 24th. Track and Field, Lacrosse, Baseball, Softball, Golf, and Tennis will be practicing in Orlando while Sailing will be at Eckerd College in St. Petersburg near the water. 

According to an email sent out to parents and students, the teams will all be housed together for four nights at the Cabana Bay Beach Resort, which sports “multiple pools, a lazy river, Galaxy Bowl, an arcade, and a state-of-the-art fitness center.” A maximum of three student-athletes from the same team will be placed in one room.

With the trip only a few weeks away, all the teams are starting to gear up for sunny and warm Florida. The trip will bring any practice sessions and scrimmages as well as be a great beacon for team bonding and some awesome experiences. From players to coaches, it will be a beneficial trip for every team, physically and socially. If you are attending the trip, be sure to look out for emails from coaches and get packing.