GCDS’ First “Real” Prom

The seniors at the GCDS 2021 prom.

Photo Credit: Dr. Wales

After the very first GCDS prom in 2021, prom planning for 2022 is now in full swing. This year’s prom will be open to GCDS upperclassmen and will take place on Saturday, May 14th at the Stamford Loading Dock.

“I think everyone is really excited about where it’s going to be because the Stamford Loading Dock is somewhere that’s awesome,” says Jackson, 12th grader and student body president. As faculty adjust to create an event that students will enjoy, logistical details will follow. The Loading Dock is a big venue and mostly indoors. Additionally, the venue will look great with the possible theme according to Ms. Wood. “We haven’t decided on a theme yet, but a New York City theme is our first choice right now,” says Ms. Wood. The theme will be discussed and decided by the Student Government in the upcoming weeks. 

The Stamford Loading Dock, location of the 2022 prom.

Photo Credit: Stamford Loading Dock

After students expressed their desire for outside guests, the faculty has decided to allow outside guests this year. Ms. Wood says, “When we send out tickets we send out invitations where people will fill all of the information out for the guest they bring. Things like that are privileges here, so that could be taken away, but for now it is approved.” So far, students have loved the idea of having outside guests. Mackenzie, 12th grader, states, “I’m looking forward to having people from other schools because it feels more like a real high school dance.” 

I’ll definitely go this year because it’s my senior prom

— Mackenzie, 12th grader

This year’s prom does have a few key differences because the faculty took feedback into consideration. In 2021, the seniors who attended prom told faculty they wanted some changes for the following year such as location and outside guests. Mackenzie says that at the past location, “we were with members of the Indian Field Club, making some people uncomfortable.” Similarly, Jack, 12th grader, mentions, “I went last year but I really didn’t have fun. They also didn’t allow outside dates last year, which a lot of my friends didn’t like.” 

Prom will be an exciting event for GCDS as the school becomes more established. All juniors and seniors are encouraged to attend and spend some time alongside their friends and classmates outside of the school building. Mackenzie says, “I’ll definitely go because it’s my senior prom.” A lot of work has gone into planning this, and students are ready to take on prom.