Congratulations Class of 2021

Our 14 seniors finally graduated on Friday, May 20 2021. In the midst of a crazy year, GCDS managed to have its 90th graduation overall and its second for the upper school. When asked about graduating, Sara stated that “… Friday’s graduation was the meaningful culmination of a hectic and stressful year for many. Throughout all of the challenges our senior class faced, we were able to come together and celebrate the end of our high school careers, and the beginning of a new chapter in our lives. Being able to have an in-person ceremony helped us truly feel the support of the school community during our last goodbyes.”

Graduation started at 2:00 in The Alumni Gym. The faculty invited wore robes and sat on both sides of the aisle left for the seniors. Each senior walked out one by one in alphabetical order. Once everyone was seated, the first speaker came up. It was a GCDS alumnus Heather Hummel Gallagher (‘81). Ms. Gallagher spoke about the many obstacles she has faced in her life but somehow pushed through. She has accomplished many things in her lifetime and she was passing the torch to the new graduating class so they can possibly do the same. Each student is going to a vastly different college and or university, but success is upon each of them. 

After that, some awards were handed out. Dr. Winters gave out the Sulger Fellowship award. This award went out to two selfless students who maintained positivity throughout the school year. Both Sam Weiner and Liam Piper had the chance to accept this award. The next award was given out by Mr. Rohdie. The Head of School’s Award is given to a student that shows leadership among their peers, and  Olivia Hu was awarded this award. Then, our 2020-2021 all-school president Sam Weiner got to speak on his class’s behalf.

Sam stated that “… this school has made a year that was miserable for most into a year that I would consider up there for the best in my life. It certainly had its downsides but I am the type of person to look at the positive aspects of things. Being at a school that would allow me to create a summer camp color war and give out dress-down days every town hall is truly special. Even though some kids in my grade didn’t come in every day, I did, because there is no place I would rather be than GCDS.”

Sam explained all the opportunities GCDS has given everyone no matter how bad the circumstances got. At the last moment, Ms. Craver (President of the GCDS Board of Trustees) and Mr. Rohdie handed out diplomas. Once each student got back to their seats, each decorated cap was thrown into the air for a celebration of this huge accomplishment. Remarks by Dr. Winters and Mr. Rohdie shifted us into the closing of the ceremony. 

“You showed us that your small and large actions contribute to a better school for us all. And for that, we thank you Class of 2021,” said Dr. Winters.

Both stated the huge contributions the Class of 2021 made: Town Halls; Zoomed classrooms; and Into the Woods. Finally, we closed out the ceremony with our school song. Emotions started flooding the room when the entire auditorium sang and swayed together. 

David Jared said that “… graduation was a really great way to celebrate our crazy but amazing senior year and our high school journeys. It is definitely bittersweet because the fourteen of us are so close but it’s a bond that can’t be broken.”

Although their high school journey is now over, their journey as a Tiger will, of course, continue.

Photo Courtesy of GCDS Instagram Account