Texas During and After The Storm

Beginning on February 13th, Texas saw record low temperatures of 13 degrees, leaving many without electricity, water, or food. 

Texas is the only state in America that relies on an independent power grid because of the interference of federal regulations. Due to this, the federal government could not help, and the local governments in Texas did very little. 

Texas also has a nuclear power plant that provides electricity to many. The water supply system that pumps water into the powerplant to directly create electricity froze, leaving millions without power.

In addition to the previously stated issues, water pipelines had no safety measures, eventually bursting and spilling into the street, causing many motor accidents. 

When asked about what the government could have done to help amidst the chaos, one Houston resident said that “the government could have helped by enforcing the electric companies. Especially the water departments to be more diligent about protecting their equipment” in response to many companies using cheap oil in the transformers which froze, leaving many without electricity. 

There was also a sense of community during the storm. Another Houston resident, when asked about how people were helping others, responded by saying “my daughters who had electricity, would bake granola bars and keep food from their meals to later give to the homeless and other people in need”. In response to the many car accidents, he also said that “Since I had a pickup, I would tow or push any car that was stuck in the ice”. 

Due to the freezing water pipes and lack of running water, many Texas residents had to find a way to get water and food. Many would get buckets and other water-collecting materials which they placed under their dripping faucets and showerheads to collect the most water they could in order to wash themselves.

Even university students weren’t immune from the blackouts. At SMU, one student stated that they “had no running water, no food because no one from the dining hall could come to work, and no heat”. Hotels were completely booked up, with many being referred to as dorms by students because those around them were virtually all from their university. Students at SMU had boiling water and bottles delivered to their dorms to brush their teeth and clean with.

In the aftermath of the storm, many electricity and water companies are being sued by people suffering due to the lack of precautions and measures taken to aid those without crucial utilities. According to The Wall Street Journal, although it may take longer to properly assess, over eighty people have died from causes related to the storm. 

Photo Courtesy of The New York Times